Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Book review: Unaccustomed earth

Just finished Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri on Divyani's recommendation.
Its been a while I have read fiction that I liked.
If you haven't read this book, it is awesome.
And I was no Jhumpa Lahiri fan, especially after reading the Namesake( don't read it its terrible). I was also tired of people writing about immigration and the issues people deal with , but that is besides the point.
I haven't read the whole book only half of it: the story of Hema and Kaushik. Its amazing.
Read it as soon as you can.

A note on Lahiri's writing style: It's simple. Love the underlying humour in places. And loooove her excellent observation and the nuances of which she incorporates in her writing. Appreciate it even more since I have stayed in the US as well now.
Go read Hema and Kaushik. I won't spoil the story for you even a bit here.

No comments: