Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Google Chrome: an aberration?

Google Chrome, the web browser of Google somehow doesn't conform to Google's created rules. Here's why:

1. I have never seen Google's products being advertised in places. Never seen an advertisement for Gmail/ AdWords /Orkut etc. Ads of Google Chrome, keep popping up on the otherwise surprisingly clean Google page, my Gmail suddenly tells me I can access my mails faster if I use Chrome. Not very interruptive, but annoying to a degree. Essentially, I don't like seeing what I don't want to see.
2. Google chrome is a definitely faster web browser but I don't need it. I have problems with Internet explorer but still haven't switched to FireFox( I am lazy and I still can browse the net on IE). For once Chrome isn't a product I am in dire need of.
3. Chrome is not a refreshing breath of fresh air like other Google products. I am a huge fan of their search engine, their AdWords, Gmail but not Chrome.

I don't want a drastically different web browser, IE works fine for me(especially after the improved tabbed browsing on IE8) .

PS: Here's a review for Chrome I did in the Battalion when it came out.

No comments: