Friday, March 27, 2009

Romy's Book review: Pour your heart into it

This is my first book review for my blog. Initially I actually thought I would do a blog of only book reviews but the rate I write is far greater than the rate at which I digest books.
I am on a non fiction phase of reading so you will pretty much find non fiction stuff in all my reviews.

The book I picked up: Pour your heart into it: How Startbucks became a company one coffee cup at a time. by Howard Schulz

Review: This is one of the best business biographies I have read. Howard Schultz the CEO of Starbucks started the coffee chain by working as an employee in Starbucks( not to confuse it with what it is now, it used to originally never sell coffee as in expresso and only coffee beans and such).

The book charts the journey of Howard and Starbuck's( how he transformed it into the giant ubiquitous coffee chain from his humble beginnings).
There are some very interesting facts about the company. Starbucks has pretty much got to where it is by pure word of mouth advertising. Shows how powerful word of mouth can be.
Also Starbucks painstakingly and meticulously serves the best coffee. Schulz says that less than 10% of the customers really understand how good the quality is but the company never compromises on the quality(and the efforts that go into it) no matter what.
After reading the book you realise how value and product oriented the company is. Americans have started to view Starbucks as a corporate entity present around every corner, but the company actually goes out of its way to educate their customers, understand their needs and serve great coffee. Wow.

One of those unputdownable books.
Rating:9/10

No comments: