Wednesday, February 4, 2009

In cycles..

I wonder whether this is the case with everyone but in my case creativity, enthusiasm comes in cycles. I wish this was not the case though.
An afterthought, so does reading in my case. Few years ago, I used to be in love with fiction, consuming almost anything in print. Now I prefer non fiction, but unlike a few months where I could not sleep until I read a few pages, I don't feel the need to read everyday. I am always on the lookout for great books, but it takes me 3 weeks to finish a 300 page novel. I am more interested in Walmart's story, Starbuck's story; essentially in stories but real stories.
Creativity moves along the same lines too. When I started writing a few months ago for my college newspaper I loved it. Then came days when you had to churn out stories at the same rate, but don't feel like writing but still have to( it's not a great combination). Thankfully I am pretty enthusiastic about writing now. You sort of develop a new found respect for journalists, artists and how they go through the same stuff everyday.
One thing about cycles: the peaks are awesome!

3 comments:

Abid Hasan Mujtaba said...

Ah I see you have become accustomed to the tedium that is churning out articles to a time-table. Newspapers couldn't have found a better way of sapping the energy of a writer if they had tried.

One hopes you can push through the lethargy that threatens to envelope one in such a case. I definitely succumbed to it. Its not too bad.

I think my next project is to learn how to program my phone. Oh joy!!!

Romy Misra said...

Abid: I have news, I have resigned from the opinion board beacause of quite a few change in policies.. you have to submit your articles in person and not by mail and have to sit with the editor till he edits it. An article requires much more time than anyone would think!

vinita said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.