Sunday, February 8, 2009

Of varied interests: Part 1

I wonder, why everything is so well defined when it comes to choosing your career. It is so difficult for people like me, with no well defined interest and being curious about everything certainly doesn't help.
In India the structure of education being quite rigid,I had very little to choose from when I was entering college. I was interested in Mathematics more than biology so came the choice of being an engineer. Then came the choice of the engineering stream and I was relatively interested in physics than other things so came the choice of being a mechanical engineer.
Then into college I discovered I didn't like the complicated course maths was taking, I appreciated 2D maths and 3D calculus drove whatever little love I had left for the subject away. At the same time, I was dealing with vibrations and fluid mechanics, which were OK interesting in parts but they weren't completing me.
I was good in my subjects when I was in college, not the best because they didn't stimulate me to give my best to them. I would feel like a misfit learning them, they weren't coming to me naturally and I had to find out what comes to me like it comes to no one else.
I knew for certain it existed.

No comments: