Friday, February 6, 2009

Its all about style!

I am no fashion guru, and the style I am talking about here is writing styles.
I hate words being used in the sentence to impress or just using words for the heck of it. This is a trend I have noticed in India, some people write clearly trying to impress. The point of writing is to get the point across, not to flaunt your new vocabulary( which is is clearly a misfit in every sentence). Every now and then I come across testimonials people write for each other in Orkut which are laughable because of the words used clearly to impress( they certainly make a bad impression). Why is the concept of good English and writing defined by the 'tough' words you use for such people? Even if you know words try and keep it to yourself, it is not necessary for the world to know.
For me no thesaurus exists, each word is unique and is applicable to different situations and has its own nuances. Discovering the complete meaning of each word is a joy.
I love things simple, to the point and crisp.

2 comments:

Dr.SuDh said...

I hope my blog or my Testimonial wasnt the inspiration to this article.. lol.
:)

Romy Misra said...

Of course not!!!